Sunday, June 7, 2020

History Lessons: "The Ways" - A Paradigm Shift

I own about 45 coffee mugs, but today...I chose this mug for a reason. Not because I wanted to make a statement that the cup is mostly white and the base is black. Not because white is on top and black is on the bottom. I chose this mug because what I am going to put into this mug is going to be one of the most delicious cups of freshly-ground, brown-roasted coffee, with a bit of sweetness and half-and-half to start my Sunday morning with joy. Those who have visited my home know I have "'mugs of many colors." 

On the tail of my last post, I've had some time to ponder on solutions. In order to do this, I've had to go back and really think about where it all went wrong...go back in my own "time machine" and not grieve over what was or has been...but hope for what could be.

Many tribes, cultures and religions have a Genesis story. A story or legend of "how it all began", be it a story to tell children when they ask, a spiritual response to ease a troubled mind, or a question to spark an adventurous journey. Eventually, facts and truths are uncovered and emerge that either coincide with what we've believed all along, or put us in a rut of denial for our own comfort and, yes...survival.

Whatever you believe about humankind's Genesis...there was a point in time where "we" (humans) became aware of Powers greater than our own selves. A tornado, a hurricane, a volcano would indicate that Something...the "gods"...were angry with us, that we did something wrong. We would try to appease these gods with offerings, tithes and sacrifices. We would worship in fear, huddle in refuge.

Thousands of years go by, and in that time, other "Powers" evolve. Acquisition. Commerce. Greed. Hierarchical classes and regimes...which evoked battles and wars that resulted in great suffering for the masses. There were no considerations for civilian casualties (to use military jargon, "collateral damage"). Pillage, plunder and destroy (often in the name or names of Diety), and those who survived would be in servitude to those Powers That Be. All races, cultures and religions are guilty of this.

Eventually, so much bloodshed and violence gave rise to Revolution. I think of the French Revolution and the American Revolution off the top of my head, but there have been many renowned revolutionaries who have made history...however, many will and may never be known in humankind's chronicled history. Nevertheless, they all fought for truth and justice...only to be suppressed and silenced by the Powers That Be.

I love Marvel and DC movies. I'm no comic book collector, but when I was a kid, I did watch Saturday morning cartoons with Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. The Justice League! I even had a blue blanket "cape" that I'd safety-pin together and run around the house and yard. All I lacked was that golden lasso! Wonder Woman was one of my heroes. Why? Because I admired her power and strength in a world of men.

As children, we grow up in our families and households, knowing some, but little truths about the world outside of our little Petri dishes. We believed what were taught because we believed and trusted those who taught us. We've prayed to distinctive "Powers That Be", because that is what the history of humankind programmed us to think and do. But now, in an Information Age...we are short-circuiting because the ways that the "Powers that Be" have been doing things are no longer working. The "Christian Way". The "Jihad Way". The "Indian Way". The "Republican" or "Democrat" Ways.

We are at the cusp of a great Paradigm Shift of "The Ways". How will this all pan out?

At the core of every human being is the knowledge of what is right and what is wrong. Even if you've been in horrible, abusive situations, you "know" and "feel" what is right and what is wrong...and if you chose "wrong" to simply survive in your environment, who could blame you? You were a child! It's not your fault. I myself was in a situation where I thought it would be better to die than to live. I didn't know who my "friends" were. I didn't know who I could trust. But I knew what was right and wrong, so I started trusting my heart, mind and soul, and made decisions in my life where the Journey would eventually lead me home.

Some think I've become Atheist. Not true. Some think I need to be "saved" (again). Not true. Some think I'm a "fence-dweller", a "coward", "milquetoast", " ...because politically, I'm a Moderate, neither left nor right. If categorizing me as such helps you sleep at night, then at this point, I hope it gives you insomnia. Because for me, it's not about politics anymore. True love has always been my answer to hate. Too many...in my own history, and human history...have taken advantage of that love and have minimized it, twisted it and have nearly destroyed it and my faith in humanity. Can you blame me, or those who feel the same?

I made a promise to myself that I would "Be good (don't be bad). Be nice (don't be mean). Be strong. (Rise to the challenges.)" I'm certainly not perfect by anyone's definition, but that is my "religion", and it gives me hope in a world that continually insists on the "definition of insanity". It all comes down on how we are and will BE. Not because or our race, culture, religion or species...but how we are to each other as creatures that crawl upon the same Planet.

This Paradigm Shift...this Revolution...is now the epic battle between good and evil. Between what is right and what is wrong. This is a challenge for the "Powers That Be" to finally have to deal with. I actually feel a [tiny] bit sorry for all of the "leaders" of the world right now. The weight of wrong decisions have finally caught up with us all, and it's not a pretty sight.

If they had only studied their history lessons...






1 comment:

  1. Excellent! This is why I love you. Because, deep inside you and I are the same. Love is always, always the only answer. Love you, sister!

    ReplyDelete