
When I was a little kid, I loved Wrigley's Doublemint and Juicy Fruit gum. My Grandpa Starks would always give us a stick when we'd visit, and I'd sit and chew it while reading the latest from his collection of Peanuts comic books. (He was also a Louis L'Amour fan, but I was told I was too young to read those.)
I remember one day my Mom taking me to the Bi-Rite drug store (today, it's Rocky Mountain Discount Sports). My mom was busy shopping and chatting with some folks, and I was bored and wanted to go home. Then I saw the lineup of Wrigley's gum by the checkout counter and thought, "Oooooo!" So when my Mom wasn't looking, I took a pack of Juicy Fruit, opened it up, unwrapped a stick and started chewing on that delightful fruity goodness ...then put the rest of the pack in my dress pocket.
When we got to the car on the way home, I took out another stick and added it to the piece I was already chewing. My thoughts of "Mmmmm!" was interrupted by my Mom saying: "Where did you get that?" Uh oh. Busted. She promptly turned the car around and headed back to Bi-Rite; we walked into the store and my Mom summoned the store manager. With my head hung low, my Mom made made me admit to what I had done: "Look at him! Go on, tell him what you did." I sheepishly told him that I had stolen a pack of gum, and that I was very sorry. "Damn right, you are," my Mom said. I gave the rest of the pack to the stern-faced manager, and as we headed home, I was made to contemplate upon the lesson about stealing.
And obviously, I still think about that lesson to this day. As a kid, I really didn't understand why anyone would miss or make a big deal over a small 5-stick pack of gum (back then, I think the entire pack was just 5 cents). Then again, I didn't understand a lot of things...even less, the stress of managing an entire drug store. But my Mom knew, the store manager knew...and deep down inside, I knew that what I did was wrong. It wasn't about the gum. It was about that feeling that flowed through my little gut and mind as I looked around while no one was looking, reached up, and took something that I didn't pay for. It was about admitting my guilt, and thinking about why it was wrong.
I know you might be thinking...why steal gum when you got it for free every Sunday afternoon? Well, to understand that, you also have to understand something about my Grandpa Starks. Most every Sunday visit, my Grandmother would make fresh baked cookies (or at least have some store-bought cookies in the cookie jar). My brother and I were allowed one cookie as an afternoon/evening treat. But when we were in the car ready to head home and saying our goodbyes, my Grandpa would lean through the open back window, sneak two extra cookies to my brother and I, and whisper: "Don't tell your parents."
What did I learn from that? Only my dentist knew for sure.
Having an Understanding
When I went to Washington D.C. as a Stars of Life recipient, my (continuing) mantra and message was: If you want to know the truth about your community, ask a first responder. I was honored that I was able to briefly visit with all three of our Wyoming legislators (especially during a government shutdown). That they took time out of their very busy schedules to talk specifically about ambulance services...not only in Wyoming, but across the nation...was an opportunity very few have.
So what is the truth about our communities? You might not know at the time, but when you see the lights and hear the sirens of an ambulance or fire truck, you know something's wrong. When you see a police officer pull someone over to the side of the road, you know something's up. When you read news articles or police/sheriff reports, you might get some jist of what happened...
But getting an understanding of the truth is only known by those who experience or witness the kinds of calls our communities require response for. "First response" means response to the incident, accident, or crime that is in progress or has already occured. Our first responders are the first on-scene to assess, then treat/transport...either to the hospital or the jail. It's those layers in-between wherein lies the truth, the reasons why they are called out in the first place.
Our dispatchers are the very first first responders, receiving the 911 calls, staying on the lines through everything. Law enforcement officers are the first ones on-scene, so you can only imagine the stress they're constantly under to serve and protect. For our fire fighters, it's not only house and wildland fires, but hazmat and public safety, vehicle accidents, rescues, and more. Through radio and other communication devices, our dispatchers, officers, and fire fighters assist our EMTs when they arrive. Victim services and second responders (like myself) assess and assist the conditions of victim survivors of the disaster or crime. Everything is connected and everyone has their roles to play during the call, from beginning to end.
But the truth is...there is no end for a first responder.
The truth is, there are 19 U.S. states that deem EMS as an essential service. Wyoming is not one of them. Therefore, the weight and burden of funding is placed upon the counties and the people to shoulder. Different counties have different ways of doing this...there are smaller counties and areas that rely on volunteer systems, bigger counties that employ EMTs/Paramedics. Both systems have their pros and cons; both types of systems have had to endure budget cuts and shortages of providers that can and do serve. Some people have no service at all.
The truth is, Fremont County is unique as a frontier, rural expanse. We have an Indian reservation. We have towns and communities that are spread apart like islands, with miles and miles of paved or dirt roads and wildlife in between. We have 1.2 million acres of farm and ranchlands. Add in our weird Wyoming seasonal weather...extreme cold, extreme heat, high winds, unpredictable thunderstorms with lightening strikes, flooding risks...and you can gain a whole new appreciation for all who respond. Along with most of our oldtimers, they know the drill. They know Fremont County and the reservation better than all of us.
The truth is, for the past year, myself and others have been trying to help individuals, groups, committees, councils, boards, officials, and politicians to have some sort of inkling and understanding of the tremendous stress our responders go through, 24/7, 365. Those who were interested, listened, and decided to help started taking action a year ago. Those who didn't, haven't.
We frustratingly joke around about how things go "at the speed of government". We've all been conditioned to believe that it's "just the way it is." For some issues, yes...but for EMS? There's a reason why it's called Emergency Medical Services. Imagine if the response time to a wildfire and burn victims was one year. Six months. Three months. One month. One week. Three days. One day.
A lesson my father taught me: "When the time of need arrives, the time for preparation has passed." That's where we're at right now. FCAG and their Joint Committee had been preparing for an entire year. RASEC has been working hard for six months. Priority Ambulance has been waiting the entire time. However, the truth is, the County Commissioners have been dinking around for one year...nine months...six months...three months...one month...one week. What other meetings, conferences, workshops, etc. were of so much more importance than the ones that were about the responsibility of providing a critical, essential service to the people of Fremont County?
"Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due,
when it is in your power to do it."
Proverbs 3:27
The truth is in the timeline. And to be dismissive of the non-action by the commissioners is disrespectful and downright careless towards our entire first response system. I've watched recent reels, statements, and narratives put out by politicians, trying to assure and calm everyone down, with an "everything is going to be fine." (Pay no attention to the men behind the curtain). But where is the transparency and accountability to the public and to our EMS crews, as they continue to work long shifts on crappy ambulances with aging equipment? There is none when you have people over our heads wasting time with posturing and waiting until the 11th hour. Now it's our mayors and fellow first responders who have to scramble around and figure out what they're going to do for their municipalities on October 1st?
The truth is...with blinders around their eyes and fingers in their ears, the commissioners wanted to, yet again, bring in another entity to take over the service as the solution, with no consideration as to the service's present state, or the impact and chaos of another transition. No meetings with the current regional EMS director. No visits to the stations; no visits with the crews. No interest in their failing assets. They made this decision behind everyone's backs and continued to waste time grandstanding to the public, playing the blame game, say that Priority and the crews were being "unreasonable". Yes, there are proper processes and procedures that need to be followed...but there's also something called a deadline. And if you're unable to meet deadlines, I'd say that says more about the inability to effectively do the job your constituents pay you for.
Meanwhile, boots on the ground...the place that very few see...the truth is, you already have an amazing EMS Director and awesome crews who bust their asses, on-call, day and night...who now, upon everything else they do...have to deal with the added stress of wondering their fates while decisions are being made over their heads by a commission who has no understanding nor respect for the service itself. Proof? Aging, depreciating, and below-standard assets. Balking during continued negotiations. Continued absence in meetings where they could've gained more understanding and provided input. Not answering calls or replying to important emails. Talking out both sides of their mouths. No admittance or acknowledgement of the problems they've caused.
Wouldn't it be nice if they had a little faith in those who are currently providing the service? Wouldn't it be nice if they understood the importance of negotiating sustainable wages considerate of the providers who greatly deserve it? Wouldn't it be nice if they had the comprehension, communication, and listening skills to at least grasp the critical elements of continuous public health and safety? In my opinion, what the commissioners have done is criminal...but the truth is, they'll probably get nothing more than a slap on the wrist, if even that.
"Better is a little with righteousness, than great revenues with injustice."
Proverbs 16:8
In my years as a reporter, the hardest question that often goes unanswered is: Why? Why did this happen? Why didn't someone come forward a long time ago? Why did they do this? Amongst all of the "No comment," or "I'm not at liberty to say," replies...people can be pretty hard on the media. But the truth is, they're only trying to get the answers, too. Press releases and statements are just cleverly-crafted, marketed narratives, and I don't know about you, but I'm sick of them.
Personally, I'd rather know the truth than to be spoonfed a bunch of narratives. Believe me, after all I've been through in my life, I can handle it (hey, I work in EMS; nothing surprises me anymore)! Because wouldn't it be better to know the truth, deal with issues head-on and 'stop the bleed', rather than create layers of excuses and narratives of why the problems haven't been dealt with? Narratives only create more bottlenecks, waste precious time, and delay inevitable truths and consequences. Just look at the state of world...rather, look at the last 250 years of U.S. history to see how covering up the truth has worked out for everyone. So thanks to our local media who are trying.
I learned a lesson when my mother unravelled the truth about me stealing a 5-cent pack of gum. I learned about admitting my faults when I had to face the store manager. I learned that my grandpa would always give me extra cookies (and had the cavities to prove it). All throughout my own timeline, I've had to learn...both the easy way and the hard way...that there are consequences if I don't listen to my conscience, check my moral compass, and steer my mind in the direction to where I must ask myself: "Is this right, or wrong? Is this honest, or dishonest? Is this just, or unjust? Do I understand, or am I misunderstanding? Is this unifying, or dividing? Is this healing, or hurting?
Time will always tell the truth.
"Nothing is covered up that will not be revealed,
or hidden that will not be known."
Luke 12:2
No comments:
Post a Comment