By Carol Harper
Matthew 7: 21-23
On my very long, very difficult spiritual journey...I have made it a practice to study from history and learn from it, apply it to the present, and use it as a guide for the future.
I'm no archaelogist, but I'm smart enough to know that the past cannot be completely erased, no matter how well-hidden. I'm no scientist, but I'm smart enough to know cause and effect. And I'm no prophet by any means, but I'm smart enough to know that prophecy is based upon probability.
To me, the Bible is a miracle book. After all, what other book has been a best-seller circa 400 A.D.? Considering the amount of compilations, translations, and interpretations its been through, it exists to tell one story: The Story of the Messiah.
Storytellers have been around for thousands upon thousands of years. Native tribes weren't surprised to hear the story of Jesus. The problem was (and has always been) the pre-interpretation and delivery of it. The evolvement of Christianity as a religion has produced a plethora of churches, denominations, sects and cults...producing their own brand of Jesus preached from their pulpits. Is it any wonder that Jesus Himself warned against false christs and false prophets? (Matthew 24)
But fortunately, we also had people who defended the tenets of the Story, like Martin Luther who stood up against the Catholic church and sparked the Protestant revolution. We have churches on the reservation who have learned to serve the people in peace. We had people like John Roberts who lived peacefully among the Eastern Shoshone and Northern Arapaho and had a great Love for both tribes...respecting the Story, telling the Story, actually living the Story. The Story became a part of their many stories of the Great Spirit...worshipping in spirit and in truth.
"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing."
1 Corinthians 13: 1-3
So to introduce doctrine, theology and interpretations that are contrary to the Story, why would anyone be surprised that our Native tribes stand up and defend the tenets of it? Why would anyone be surprised that the tribes are fed up with preachers who hypocritically preach and buzz around their own brand of Jesus that goes contrary to the Story in the first place? Their spirit animals must be the mosquito! (And what a summer it's been for those!)
I'm also smart enough to know that it is not really about a church's facade, it's about the people behind the curtains running the show. "Foundations for Nations"? Seems to me they were foolish builders whose "foundation" was built upon the sand. (Matthew 7: 24-27) They have become the Judases of the real Jesus, crucifying Him over and over again, digging their heels in with pride in the work they've done for a false christ. The probability of a house built on the sand? I'm no architech, either, but you do the math.
The Story stands well enough on its own Rock. It doesn't need interpreted, doesn't need "another testament", doesn't need to be politicized. The Story doesn't need to be altered to fit an agenda or marketing plan. The Story doesn't need to be twisted by the spiritually blind to justify putting people under submission and control, or purchasing up and taking away lands for profit. And if you ask me, our nation's tribes are closer to Jesus and the Great Spirit because of their ceremonies, rituals, and traditions! John Roberts saw that. And as far as America goes? We should all be paying our biggest respects to our veterans who have fought and still fight for our Constitution, and for these lands to be protected and free to worship however anyone chooses.
But there are battles that are unseen...and those are the most difficult battles of all.
"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."
Ephesians 6:12

No comments:
Post a Comment