Sunday, March 29, 2020

911 & The Single Life: The Mug Half Full

Now, you might think there are several things wrong with this picture of my cuppa joe this morning...the mug is half empty (full?)...bare, gray trees, dry brown brush and lawn, etc., and "C'mon Carol..why are you drinking your coffee out of a chipped-up mug?"

It's still been a bit chilly here in Wyoming, but I decided to enjoy my morning coffee out on the back deck...watching the robins hop around, the squirrels chatter and scurry up and down the trees...even heard a hawk cry and saw it fly/land right into one of the huge evergreens. Every morning has been beautiful, and I decided that today I was going outside to be a part of it all.

This is one of my favorite coffee mugs that my daughter gave me. I don't know how it got chipped, but I'll never throw it away. Why is it half-empty? Because I drank it down! LOL You can be sure I'll refill it several times today. The chips are reminders that not every day will be a perfect day...there are Nouns that can (and definitely do) chip away at me, may even wear me down a bit. But "perfect" isn't. I believe that every day that I can watch the sun rise and set is a good thing. How I fill my time, my mind, my heart and my soul is what really matters. 

It's been a surreal few weeks at work, particularly difficult for our EMTs, who not only have to answer COVID-19 calls in full PPE, but also have to be on the front lines, as usual, for all of the other 911 calls that come in. Falls, cardiac arrests, stabbings, shootings, car accidents, etc....these are still just "days in the life" for our First Responders. I have to admit, it's been very difficult for me to be on lock down at the station...but after a crazy work week, at least I can go home. They can't. They see so much out there, it can often get discouraging. Stress does chip away at them, too. So whenever you see an ambulance out and about, please think about what they're going through, pray for them, thank them.

Drop them a thank you card. Yes, it can be so easy to just thank them on social media, but an actual, handwritten card that you drop in the (what is it again? Oh...) US MAIL!...means so much.
Here's how (in Fremont County, WY):

It would also be so easy to see the mug half-empty these days. Me? I just fill'er up again...and again...and again! I was taught, "When the moment of need arrives, the time for preparation has passed." So when I moved into my home a couple of years ago, I made sure that I would develop and add to my food storage and emergency supply a little at a time. Each time I go to the store, I buy a couple extra cans of food, a flat of water, an extra pack of essential items (coffee, of course...and yes, toilet paper LOL). When I read about all the hoarding going on, it makes me angry and sad. Two Nouns raise their beautiful or ugly heads during times like these: Compassion and Greed. Compassion fills the cups full. Greed empties them. 

Since a majority of my time during the week is spent at the station, I'm quite blessed to not have to worry about emergency first aid. I know the crews would take very good care of me if something were to happen. I have first aid kits/bags in my car and at home. However, for those who haven't really thought about those "moments of need" and emergencies that could possibly arise - whether we're living alone, or stuck in close quarters with our families and loved ones - I just wanted to mention a few tips/resources that may be useful, should something "happen".

First Aid Kit/Bag
You can buy them ready to go, of course, but you can also get a backpack or duffle bag and fill it with some basic items.

To get you started...
  • Small, medium and large sterile gauze/dressings (packaged)
  • K-Flex rolls
  • Triangle bandages
  • Transpore tape
  • Digital thermometer
  • Alcohol wipes/canister
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Disposable (sterile) gloves*
  • Q-tips
  • Scissors
  • Tweezers
  • Safety Pins
  • Splints
  • Prescribed medications*
  • Antihistimine creams or sprays*
  • Antiseptic cream/ointment*
  • Benadryl tablets*
  • Cough medicine*
  • Painkillers*
*Be knowledgeable and aware of allergies/allergic reactions to all types of medications. No aspirin for children under 16. I would also avoid Ibuprofen right now.

Don't forget the things that I mentioned in my first blog of the series: Your "411 for the 911".

Other items to have in a bag/vehicle/on hand:
Clean Towels (to pack a wound)
Flashlight(s)
A few water bottles (unopened)
Emergency blanket(s)
Baby wipes/personal wipes (do not flush!)
Disposable rain slicker(s)
Compact umbrella
4 x 6 light duty tarp
Cable ties

This is just a basic list off the top of my head, but it should at least help get you started.
(For those who do a lot of camping, I'm sure you already have most of these items!)

Also...
Since AMR isn't able to offer classes on Stop the Bleed at this time, here's the full course on YouTube:








1 comment:

  1. As always Carol, great information and food for thought. I love your writings...Thank you for taking the time to care about all of us out here. I appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete