Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness: A Bag of Important Things to Remember

As I prep for my road trip to California next week, I'm "makin' a list, checkin' it twice". No doubt I've never been happier here in the great state of Wyoming, my beloved home state, but...the truth is that I lived in California for (collectively) the past 30 years, and I can never discount such a life lived.

I'm already packing my bags. Itinerary. Flat of water. "Road trip" food. First aid kit. Toothbrush. Hair brush, shampoo/conditioner. Clean underwear (thanks, Mom).

I moved to California in 1989, from Provo, Utah to the San Jose Bay Area. My son and daughter were just babies at the time; for me, it was an adventure for this Wyoming-grown gal. From two-lane highways to multiple, well...you can only guess how I guided myself across the NV/CA border for the first time. Two lanes to six?? Never did I know that I would experience commute traffic, pollution and social/cultural mixing pots..but, I did.

But, I digress...

While in Utah back in the day, I was an Admin Assistant for an aerospace company, Wencor West/Kitco. I kinda laugh today in reflection, in that I "knew them when", but also quite reverence the tech and communications that was all about Aviation Technology in the late 80's. Funny and ironic that I would connect with the Quality Control tech guy. I (as most did) viewed him as the quiet "nerd", but I learned a lot from him. I don't remember his name, but I will always remember his tech and intelligence. For those who don't know me very well...I'm quite a sponge for information. Did I know he would influence my life later on? No. But he did. So...I did a Google on Wencor West/Kitco. Today, it appears to be an amazing industry. http://www.wencor.com/

I truly believe that our pasts shape our futures. We learn. We learn from our successes and mistakes, every day! I don't think I made any "mistakes" while serving at Wencor West/Kitco, but I can tell you right now, I wasn't in the industry to climb a "ladder" toward any glass ceiling in the aviation industry. Far from! I just needed a job; I had two babies to feed. But I was there to learn. And what I learned is that when one hurts, we all hurt.

Before my son, Kevin, was born, all the women in the Wencor West office got together and sewed a quilt for his homecoming. They held a small baby shower party for me. Every single woman there had smiles on their faces at the surprise that would surely ensue as I unwrapped the quilt. "Astonishment" was a word that couldn't explain my joy. Here were these women...women I worked with every day...who came together to give me a gift I could never repay. The work of their own hands.  A quilt of Beauty, Art and Love.

Many months later, my beautiful baby daughter, Rachelle, was born, with so very many complications. When I needed a ride to the ER, the clinic, the hospital...these women were there, ready to help, ready to serve. They had their own families, their own lives and drama to work through...yet, they were there for me. I am so grateful to have a wonderful network of strong, beautiful women who are always there for me, through the good, bad and ugly!

My point is...there are people in our lives who truly care. Even if you think no one cares...that you are alone, that you think you are at the end of a candle burnt at both ends...

Someone truly does care.

Not many know this, but (now you do)...before I moved back to Wyoming, I was homeless. It wasn't for long, but I do know what it feels like to be without hope. Empty. Done. Bitter, in wonderment of those who you thought were your friends, but who really weren't. Heartbroken for those who, if it weren't for your own pride, would've helped...but you wouldn't have it.

But all it took was telling the truth. I could've said one of the four-letter "f" words that I've detested in my vocabulary:

"Hey, I'm fine."

Once I told the truth...that I was not "fine"...did the angels descend.

This has happened multiple times in my life. And these Angels know who they are. To them, I will always be truly grateful and forever in their debt. Words are not enough.

Life isn't what others make for you. It's what you make for yourself. You choose your own happiness or demise. No "motivational speaker" or preacher at the pulpit ever convinced me, and believe me, I've drunk down many bitter cups. But step back, and think about the "nouns" in your life. The people, places and things. It will give you perspective, focus and most of all, strength in your own self to forge onward, and if needs be, fight back. You think you may be alone in the fight...but you're not.

"If you are happy, rejoice in it. If you are not, do something about it."

Put this in your bag of important things to remember!

Road trip!

Carol Harper

Tonight's sunset...

© 2018 Carol Harper. Contact: carol@coffeepong.com

No comments:

Post a Comment